Website Improvements

Banner
I did the monthly configuration revision on my systems and decided to do some changes to my web server and this website. Don’t load JavaScript when not needed (Hugo) Originally I had KaTeX included on every page on here, but decided to limit it only to pages where I actually need LaTeX support. The majority of pages on here does not use LaTeX after all. I did this by adjusting the Hugo template to only include it when the page parameter needLaTeX is set.

Read More

Quick fix: New Paint for the Jakob Maul Bilateral Scale

Banner
I had this sitting on my shelf for a while the paint on the base stated to come off, I happen to have some black glossy spray paint at home so I figured let’s give it a new paint job. I removed the paint with a brass brush on my Proxxon tool (like a Dremel), then used 1000 sand paper to clean it up a little. After that I cleaned the surface with Isopropyl alcohol and covered the sections I didn’t want to paint.

Read More

Microinjection Dispenser Controller (Part 2, Construction done)

Banner
Continued from: part 1 This is more of a quick update, this weekend I finished the mechanical and electrical construction of my microinjection dispenser controller. Back Panel So I finished the back panel as mentioned in part 1. The BNC at the top gives a TTL marker signal and I also added a 4mm banana socket for grounding. Remote In order to trigger it I wanted the possibility of a small remote with a button instead of having to press the button on the front panel every time.

Read More

Microinjection Dispenser Controller (Part 1)

Banner
Continued in: part 2 I saw some people building open-source microinjection dispensers like OpenSpritzer and PuffAdder a while back and thought “hey I can easily build this”. And so as an excercise I did. This is a pressure ejection microconjection dispension controller. It works by having a regulated pneumatic pressure being dosed by opening a fast acting solenoid valve for a specified amount of time. The relation of the pressure and the open time of the solenoid then dictate how much volume flow will be ejected.

Read More

DIN912 Stainless Steel M4 Screw Weights

Banner

DIN912 M4 screw weights, sample size \(n=10\), weighted on my Sauter L10 which has a declared error of \(e=0.1\rm{g}\) and \(d=0.1\rm{g}\). Conducted at room temperature \(T=21^{\circ}\). I did this on my Sauter scale because it is a direct reading scale making it faster to handle, than my other (more precise) laboratory scales, especially considering the sample size of 10 I’m using here.

Values in between indicators were rounded up to the next higher 10s of milligrams.

Read More

Making a LOMO Power Supply Safe(er)

Banner
As mentioned in the MBS-10 (МБС-10) post the standard LOMO power supply is not safe by modern standards. It uses a non-earthed metallic case and does not have fuses. I recently got this supply together with my new LOMO R15 (ЛОМО Р15) where the prior owner cut off the standard europlug and added a Schutzkontaktstecker using screw terminals. It is as safe as it looks: While disassembling it I also noticed that the shrinking tube was improperly sized, exposing live 230V terminals:

Read More

LOMO R15 (ЛОМО Р15)

Banner
I recently got this LOMO R15 (ЛОМО Р15) as I wasn’t satisfied with the accessories my Hertel & Reuss microscopes have and the virtual non-availability of further accessories for those on eBay. So I decided to go with a microscope I can get more easily upgrades for. As visible from my earlier posts regarding this: LOMO ST-12 (ЛОМО СТ-12) Repair Cleaning a LOMO R15 (ЛОМО Р15) Frame LOMO OI-35 (ЛОМО ОИ-35) Repair There was some cleaning and mechanical maintenance required, to get it back into operation.

Read More

LOMO OI-35 (ЛОМО ОИ-35) Repair

Banner
I got this together with my new LOMO R15 (ЛОМО Р15), the iris diaphragm inside was broken, so here a quick note on how I repaired it. I started with dissembling everything, in order to get the diaphragm out the two levers need to be unscrewed as well as a small set screw on the bottom needs to be removed. I also disassembled the mirror part for cleaning. The diaphragm was completely sticky due to dried up grease, so I carefully disassembled it and removed all grease remains using WD-40.

Read More